Let's talk about cardboard Christmas houses and accessories

Visit our Contributors' Pages:
Visit Family Christmas Online Visit Howard Lamey's own web page, LittleGlitterHouses.com Click to Sign Up for Maria Cudequest's Collectibles Blog
Visit Family Christmas Online Click to visit Papa Ted's Place - the ultimate cardboard Christmas house resource. Click to return to the Old Christmas Tree Lights Table of Contents Page

Note: To ask a question, sign up for our "Christmas Times" newsletter, or learn how
to apply for membership to this forum, please visit our Contact page.

Note: All content on this forum is Copyright (c) 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 by Paul D. Race
and by the posters who have contributed specific content. All material is for your personal use only. No content
or plans may be republished or sold, nor may any plans be used to make products to sell without prior written
permission from Paul D. Race and the individual who contributed the content or plan in question.
For permissions or questions about this policy, please contact us using our Contact page.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:40 pm 

The idea for this article came when Dianne Gray sent me some photos of two of her Identical Houses that she had questions about. In her own words are her concerns.
"Of the two houses pictured, the smaller one is from my childhood. It was part of the village my dad set up each year as early as I can remember (I'm 67). The larger one is more attractive to me. It even has a really cool front door slab or stoop. It appears that the person assembling the smaller house pushed the roof too far down as the roof is almost completely covering the top row of windows. It also appears that the green trim which is on the front of the roof was bent downward (further covering those windows)." Dianne has been having trouble logging in and emailed me the dimensions of her set. They are; "My larger house with straw fence measures 6 1/2 X 3 3/4 X 5 1/4" and the smaller house is 6 1/4 X 3 3/4 X 5"."

Happy Monday.

I will first post her pictures and then as I have the same set of houses (both the larger and smaller) I will post mine as there are some differences between these houses. IF ANYONE HAS THESE HOUSES AND WISH TO CONTRIBUTE TO THIS DISCUSSION THEY ARE MOST WELCOME TO DO SO.

Attachments:
Diannes Blue Hs A.jpg
Diannes Blue Hs A.jpg [ 232.94 KiB | Viewed 15160 times ]
Diannes blue hs B.jpg
Diannes blue hs B.jpg [ 176.63 KiB | Viewed 15160 times ]
Diannes Blue Hs C.jpg
Diannes Blue Hs C.jpg [ 260.69 KiB | Viewed 15160 times ]

Last edited by Tom Hull on Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:03 pm 

These are my two variations. The first thing I notice is that neither of mine have the "straw" fence. The other thing I notice is that in both of my two the roof line nearly touches the stoop roof as does Dianne's in her smaller house. Also what I noticed about Dianne's smaller house is that the windows are raised up quite a bit and hence the roof covers the upper row substantially. Probably an error on the part of the worker. As to the obviously curved front of the roof I would guess that this was due to the way it was made. I had a roof that either was made with a curve in it due to the water in the paint or just time and humidity did it. In this instance I took off the roof and ironed it but that house need extensive repair anyway. I have straightened out houses that had been stepped on for pete's sake! Certainly Dianne's doesn't need anything and I would just consider it part of the age of it.

I cannot tell on Dianne's houses but in mine the larger of the two has a larger dog house. The larger house also has 4 slot windows in two rows as compared to three in the smaller house. The dormer on the big one has 3 windows (Dianne's has 2) and just 2 in the smaller house. I notice that the house illustrated in the January 2007 HOM of papa Ted's place Also has just 2 windows in the dormer. An additional difference is the front door area. Like Dianne's mine has a stoop consisting of three graduated pieces of cardboard. In addition mine also has columnar attached pilasters. The stoop roof in both Dianne's and mine has a gable end (big house only) My larger house is 7" x 3 3/4" and 5 1/4" high. The small one is; 6 1/4" x 3 3/4" and 4 1/4" high. Dianne didn't give me the dimensions of her houses.

Attachments:
EBAY JAN 5 + PUTZ HS 003.JPG
EBAY JAN 5 + PUTZ HS 003.JPG [ 292.68 KiB | Viewed 15158 times ]
EBAY JAN 5 + PUTZ HS 004.JPG
EBAY JAN 5 + PUTZ HS 004.JPG [ 312.12 KiB | Viewed 15158 times ]
EBAY JAN 5 + PUTZ HS 009.JPG
EBAY JAN 5 + PUTZ HS 009.JPG [ 204.85 KiB | Viewed 15158 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:25 am 
Site Admin

Tom,

Thanks for sharing all the variations. No wonder Pete has trouble cataloging them all.

Question: Is the door with the flower trim around the frame in the last photo original? Looks just like one Kathi did for Ted (which Pete now sells).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:49 am 

Thanks for sharing Tom, I LOVE this house and LOVE comparing differences, sadly I don't have an original of this one. The pic of the Jan 2007 HOM with the rest of "The Fair" set has 2 rows of stitching on the fence and it is tinted green, which I love. It only has two windows in the dormer.
Paul, I think that Tom used a Papa Ted replacement door on his, not to say that it isn't the correct door, but I noticed you could see Papa Teds copyright in the picture above through the back hole. Most of the ones I've seen have the typical PreWar door 1 that Ted and Kathi did and Pete now sells.
-Brian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:51 am 

Tom,
Forgot to ask, do those have the silver or white coconut over the blue paint. It doesn't look like the coco is blue.
Thanks
-Brian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:40 pm 

paulrace wrote:
Tom,

Thanks for sharing all the variations. No wonder Pete has trouble cataloging them all.

Question: Is the door with the flower trim around the frame in the last photo original? Looks just like one Kathi did for Ted (which Pete now sells).

Yes it is a replacement. I cannot say now but I tried to replace doors with what was in them originally if there was anything left. Certainly this door was used during this period. TKH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:48 pm 

BrianB wrote:
Thanks for sharing Tom, I LOVE this house and LOVE comparing differences, sadly I don't have an original of this one. The pic of the Jan 2007 HOM with the rest of "The Fair" set has 2 rows of stitching on the fence and it is tinted green, which I love. It only has two windows in the dormer.
Paul, I think that Tom used a Papa Ted replacement door on his, not to say that it isn't the correct door, but I noticed you could see Papa Teds copyright in the picture above through the back hole. Most of the ones I've seen have the typical PreWar door 1 that Ted and Kathi did and Pete now sells.
-Brian

You have better X-ray vision than I Brian! This IS a pre war door and one of my favorites but I usually tried to use what was in there or what was common to the era if I didn't know.
I too like the green fences "straw" fences and believe it is dyed tissue or some similar paper. For a long time I only knew the double stitched fences. YES the coconut appears to be white or silver but MAYBE overlaying a little light blue. Hard to tell when it is lying flat against the paint.
As to the Dormer windows notice that BOTH variations in size of Dianne's are for two windows. The large one in mine does have 3 windows in the dormer. TKH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:51 pm 

Here is another variation of this house that I recently acquired. It has a rectangle window in the dormer instead of the two or three vertical ones.

-Brian

Attachments:
forum pics 3-14 1.jpg
forum pics 3-14 1.jpg [ 49.73 KiB | Viewed 14913 times ]