Let's talk about cardboard Christmas houses and accessories

Visit our Contributors' Pages:
Visit Family Christmas Online Visit Howard Lamey's own web page, LittleGlitterHouses.com Click to Sign Up for Maria Cudequest's Collectibles Blog
Visit Family Christmas Online Click to visit Papa Ted's Place - the ultimate cardboard Christmas house resource. Click to return to the Old Christmas Tree Lights Table of Contents Page

Note: To ask a question, sign up for our "Christmas Times" newsletter, or learn how
to apply for membership to this forum, please visit our Contact page.

Note: All content on this forum is Copyright (c) 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 by Paul D. Race
and by the posters who have contributed specific content. All material is for your personal use only. No content
or plans may be republished or sold, nor may any plans be used to make products to sell without prior written
permission from Paul D. Race and the individual who contributed the content or plan in question.
For permissions or questions about this policy, please contact us using our Contact page.
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Time for church
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:05 pm 

I've had some stained-glass in the digital archives for quite awhile, derived from one of Hal Carsten's "cut-out" projects that appeared in Toy Trains back in the 1950s. Been wanting to use it in the construction of a church for the Christmas display. I was poking around the forum and found some ideas that Pete had posted a few years back, similar to some of Howard's creations that have a Norman "keep" look about them. Using Pete's photo, I drew up some rough plans and began cutting/assembling the cardboard components:

Still a long ways to go, but I thought I'd post pics of progress as I go. If nothing else, it'll document my mistakes along the way (I've made a few just in the design process).

And yeah, it's too big...again; I should expect that having based in on some O-scale window components. It's gonna need a base around 12" x 10" in size.

Paul Too

Post subject: Re: Time for church
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:08 am 

Paul Too…
I know this project will be impressive in both size and detail…are you going to add “quoins” to the corners?…keep the work in progress pictures coming…
Howard…

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:55 am 

Howard wrote:
Paul Too…
…are you going to add “quoins” to the corners?
Howard…

You know, I'll have to paper the corners and had actually thought about that style of embellishment, Howard, I just didn't know what it was called. "Quoins"...learn something everyday. I'm also wondering if I should put a frame around the windows, or maybe just a simple ledge, or perhaps leave them as is. Also, Pete's example has some architectural detail up around the peak of the roof...I'm wondering what to do with that. I've got a few ideas to noodle.

Paul 2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:15 pm 

After a bit of research, I took Howard's suggestion as a good one...quoins:

Tedious at first, easier once I got going. The big challenge is getting a nice crisp bend of the cardboard to go around the corner. Butchered the first one (right smack in the front), but did better with all subsequent.

I added a decorative cornice to the front, then need a final decision as to whether to add window frames and/or ledges. Then it'll be off to the paint-booth.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:37 am 

Paul Too…

Given the size of the church…I believe you should consider putting on window sills…perhaps a strip of balsa, craft wood or extra thick cardboard…I’ve used wooden matchsticks from time to time…but they are probably too small for this church…even if you’ve already primed and painted…super glue will hold them in place…

Howard…

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:31 am 

Howard wrote:
Paul Too…

Given the size of the church…I believe you should consider putting on window sills…perhaps a strip of balsa, craft wood or extra thick cardboard…I’ve used wooden matchsticks from time to time…but they are probably too small for this church…even if you’ve already primed and painted…super glue will hold them in place…

Howard…

Thanks, Howard; I'm thinking the same thing. I mocked-up three alternatives: (1) no frame/ledge, (2) frame-only, or (3) ledge-only. All three likely work fine, but I'm leaning toward a simple ledge (3):

Attachments:
File comment: Church window treatments.
Church project c.jpg
Church project c.jpg [ 166.93 KiB | Viewed 2554 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:59 am 

I just love this!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:23 am 

Beautiful!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:12 am 

Okay, a quick trip through the paint booth last night for a couple coats of Krylon gloss-khaki. No worries about the shiny finish as an overspray of clear-matte lacquer eventually in the cards:

I cemented in the window ledges before painting. I didn't care for the look of the balsa version, so I used a bit of matt board cut into 1/8" strips. Looks better, at least to me.

I gotta let this paint cure for a day or two; it seems a bit tacky, even after having sat for a few hours. What it really needs is 3-4 hours sitting in the warm sun, but it's supposed to be overcast/rain today, so no chance of that. Just have to wait...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:51 pm 

Not a lot of progress in the last week; painted the corners and the window ledges after spending way too much time pondering the color choice. I finally went with a shade called "Concrete", an acrylic in the Howard Hues line of paints (#1106). Had I thought this through, I would have painted the cardboard that I used for the corners an appropriate color, then cut them out and applied them to the model instead of applying them first and repainting them in place. Would have made for a neater job, but whatever...the beauty of glitter is it covers most errors made along the way.

I need to finish up some structural stuff before contemplating the roof. The tower is going to require a top and some belfry work. I've been looking around for an appropriately sized bell to install. I went looking in the bridal decoration section at the craft store but came up empty; finally found a pack on Amazon that I'm hoping will work. I think there'll be a dozen or so in the packet, so if anyone needs a bell, let me know :lol:

Carstens included a set-back "vestibule" for the entryway of his church, the look of which I liked, so I included a version here. If nothing else, it'll be a place to shake off your umbrella before going inside. I'm using his door graphics for the entry, but my inkjet printer doesn't print dark enough, so I'm going to try darkening it up a bit using a fine-line Sharpie. I wanted to include a couple small slit type windows on either side of the door, but I don't think there's enough room. A bit of painting required, then some assembly.

The church in Pete's photo has a steeple on it. Got to think more about whether I want to include that, or just leave it with the Norman keep look. The peak of the roof is nearly as tall, if not taller, than the height of the tower. Might need a steeple to balance out the structure.

Long ways to go...