Let's talk about cardboard Christmas houses and accessories

Visit our Contributors' Pages:
Visit Family Christmas Online Visit Howard Lamey's own web page, LittleGlitterHouses.com Click to Sign Up for Maria Cudequest's Collectibles Blog
Visit Family Christmas Online Click to visit Papa Ted's Place - the ultimate cardboard Christmas house resource. Click to return to the Old Christmas Tree Lights Table of Contents Page

Note: To ask a question, sign up for our "Christmas Times" newsletter, or learn how
to apply for membership to this forum, please visit our Contact page.

Note: All content on this forum is Copyright (c) 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 by Paul D. Race
and by the posters who have contributed specific content. All material is for your personal use only. No content
or plans may be republished or sold, nor may any plans be used to make products to sell without prior written
permission from Paul D. Race and the individual who contributed the content or plan in question.
For permissions or questions about this policy, please contact us using our Contact page.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:49 pm 

I’m working on the 2 window church, but it is coming along slow, summer takes me outside to play in my yard.

I am making the base shown in the original church and I wanted to share the pattern I made for this house. This pattern can be made any size by adding or removing the pickets on each side. The first base I made the original house had a bit more space from the last picket to the back, so I made this one the same, but this can also be adjusted. I have the pattern and a second one with the score lines and the cutting lines color coded. The original bases did not have a bottom, but I always add one to mine for strength and hopefully a long life. On the underneath of the top I glue a support from the back corners curved as close to the gate open without seeing it The bottom is just a flat rectangle cut the size of the of top. I glued this piece on top of the sides and the brace. I do add glue around the outside edges so it will be a bit sturdier.

Priming will be next….

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:54 pm 

I’m working on the 2 window church, but it is coming along slow, summer takes me outside to play in my yard.

I am making the base shown in the original church and I wanted to share the pattern I made for this house. This pattern can be made any size by adding or removing the pickets on each side. The first base I made the original house had a bit more space from the last picket to the back, so I made this one the same, but this can also be adjusted. I have the pattern and a second one with the score lines and the cutting lines color coded. The original bases did not have a bottom, but I always add one to mine for strength and hopefully a long life. On the underneath of the top I glue a support from the back corners curved as close to the gate open without seeing it The bottom is just a flat rectangle cut the size of the of top. I glued this piece on top of the sides and the brace. I do add glue around the outside edges so it will be a bit sturdier.

Priming will be next….

Attachments:
Base Dolly Churchn 2 Windows Side Tower.pdf [264.2 KiB]
Downloaded 789 times
church and base.jpg
church and base.jpg [ 100.93 KiB | Viewed 10824 times ]
Base.jpg
Base.jpg [ 90.95 KiB | Viewed 10824 times ]
Base bottom.jpg
Base bottom.jpg [ 242.78 KiB | Viewed 10824 times ]

Last edited by Lynn on Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:31 pm 

Lynn,
Your church is going to be wonderful. The base is quite spectacular in its own right. It looks like a CNC machine cut it, not a human. I love seeing this. Thank you for the close-up photos.

Lucy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:18 am 

You're right Lucy, it looks as if it was cut with a machine. Great job. I can't wait to see the finished product as well! :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:54 am 

The padre looks very proud of his church, as well he should be!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:32 pm 

Amazing work Lynn!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:58 pm 

Hi everyone, I was thinking about a tree for base when I realized the base is a bit too small. So I am going to make a larger pattern and will post as soon as I can.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:39 pm 

I just replaced the original base pattern with one that is a bit larger.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:44 pm 

What seems like forever I have finally finished Howard’s Dolly church.

The gold is a mixture of bright gold fine glitter, yellow fine glitter and mica powder. I have never used micas powder, but really liked the way if softened the gold.

Someone on the forum was kind enough to send be an original Dolly house, we both tried to figure out just what was used and after seeing this, I believe this is very close to what the originals were made with.

For the roof and base I used glass glitter, diamond dust and finely chopped mica flakes.

In keeping with the original I added a small loafer tree instead of the cardboard was I typically use for my Dolly houses.

Lots of mixing all different combos to find what I was looking for!!

Attachments:
thumbnail.jpg
thumbnail.jpg [ 96.55 KiB | Viewed 10682 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:18 pm 

Oh Lynn - it turned out beautifully! It's so perfect.