Let's talk about cardboard Christmas houses and accessories

Visit our Contributors' Pages:
Visit Family Christmas Online Visit Howard Lamey's own web page, LittleGlitterHouses.com Click to Sign Up for Maria Cudequest's Collectibles Blog
Visit Family Christmas Online Click to visit Papa Ted's Place - the ultimate cardboard Christmas house resource. Click to return to the Old Christmas Tree Lights Table of Contents Page

Note: To ask a question, sign up for our "Christmas Times" newsletter, or learn how
to apply for membership to this forum, please visit our Contact page.

Note: All content on this forum is Copyright (c) 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 by Paul D. Race
and by the posters who have contributed specific content. All material is for your personal use only. No content
or plans may be republished or sold, nor may any plans be used to make products to sell without prior written
permission from Paul D. Race and the individual who contributed the content or plan in question.
For permissions or questions about this policy, please contact us using our Contact page.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gift from Janet 3 Houses
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:20 am 

These 3 buildings were a gift from a good friend Janet Watt. The church is a lacquie and it was FOULTHY and lacking a steeple.
Making the steeple was simple enough but the tricky part was getting a match on the color and texture. The red I was using was a very close match and for the final coat I added that decoupage favorite Modge Podge to the red paint and applied it with a toothbrush to get the vertical striations in it.
The blue Sandy building with red coconut trim and salmon colored base is an early paper label house and has 3 of the original fuzzy windows in it (more on this later). There was half of the right fence missing and a number of the "fence tips" missing from the tower but Pete Oehmens fencing made their replacement easy as well as his coconut.
The white house is in process as of now. I have built a base for it but this one was VERY warped and as you can see in the last photo I managed to get it warped back into square. I need to come up with one of those "raffia" fences only I don't think they actually used raffia. When done will post it.

Attachments:
EBAY OCT 19 + Houses 027.JPG
EBAY OCT 19 + Houses 027.JPG [ 163.56 KiB | Viewed 18354 times ]
EBAY OCT 19 + Houses 030.JPG
EBAY OCT 19 + Houses 030.JPG [ 250.04 KiB | Viewed 18354 times ]
EBAY OCT 19 + Houses 031.JPG
EBAY OCT 19 + Houses 031.JPG [ 132.45 KiB | Viewed 18354 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:27 am 

The first photo in this set is of the white house and this came from a recent auction. So you can see how it might look.
The second photo is of the sandy blue house. Of particular intrest is the replacement fuzzy window on the right that Brian made for me. Pretty good but the color is off. Notice the upper left window on the tower is the same size BUT the centerline of the mullion is off. Well nobody said they were perfect! An original bo bo!

Attachments:
a white house 2.jpg
a white house 2.jpg [ 47.89 KiB | Viewed 18353 times ]
EBAY OCT 19 + Houses 033.JPG
EBAY OCT 19 + Houses 033.JPG [ 246.95 KiB | Viewed 18353 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:43 am 

All very nice Tom! Can't wait to see the final results on them.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:40 am 

Tom, I always enjoy seeing your resterstions!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:24 pm 

Thanks for sharing Tom - and I learned a new word 'foulthy'. The colors on the lackie are soooo rich!

John

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:08 am 

I especially like the lakkie - steeple and color match.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:26 am 
Site Admin

Tom, great job on the restorations. Thanks for sharing. Also thanks to Brian and Pete for helping keep such resources available.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:58 am 

Those are awesome Tom! Great job as always!!

Regarding the fuzzy window. you might be able to tint the "fuzz" with a super fine brush and a little light yellow paint. If I'm ever granted copious amounts of time to work on houses, I want to make some almost white fuzzy windows. I think through the aging process some originals have lost almost all their pigment and I've seen several houses that appear to have white fuzzies. I have the white fuzz....just need the time. :D

There is a great tutorial on here about how to make a fence out of raffia, but it looks spot on!! My apologies I can't remember who posted it, but I used a sewing machine with a slightly thicker thread, based off the tutorial and made a few fences like that for my Fair set builds. Hopefully someone will speak up with a link. I think maybe the little black coconut house with the snowman in front had one too.

Hope everyone has a Happy Halloween! Im knee deep in costume making for my daughter at the moment....always a good time!
-Brian

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:33 pm 

Here are the last pictures of that series. I discovered that I Think it was Barb Kutz sent me some raffia fences she had sewn up and didn't realize I had enough to make anything and so pressed it into service. This last house is fairly good sized and sort of unusual I think. I believe the base may have originally been green but am uncertain as it was missing. Here it is.

My next posting will be a Silver Mullioned Red Window (and I used some of Brian's windows to finish it and then a "tar paper shack".

Attachments:
Houses Refurbed 002.JPG
Houses Refurbed 002.JPG [ 238.9 KiB | Viewed 18284 times ]
Houses Refurbed 003.JPG
Houses Refurbed 003.JPG [ 235.86 KiB | Viewed 18284 times ]
Houses Refurbed 004.JPG
Houses Refurbed 004.JPG [ 174.57 KiB | Viewed 18284 times ]