We'll, progress is being made on the candy box restoration, but it has not been with out its frustrations. After I added gravel to bare spots and touched up the paint, the house looked a mess. It was splotchy and uneven. So, I scraped off all the gravel I could from the roof and the addition and, after sanding, I started over. I didn't need to touch the white parts of the house because the only new gravel I added was where I patched the cut out window.
I then ground and sifted the gravel until I got a closer match to the original coating and glued it on. I mixed up a very thin batch of paint to cover the blue and gold areas. After painting I blotted the paint to expose a little of the shine of the gravel underneath. Below are pics of the first attempt and my redo. I also finished the base. Just a couple more steps needed now to completion.
IMG_604.jpg [ 117.34 KiB | Viewed 573 times ]
First attempt and subsequent reject
IMG_605.jpg [ 91.02 KiB | Viewed 573 times ]
Last redo of gravel and paint - still needs a little touch up and then the finishing touches