Let's talk about cardboard Christmas houses and accessories

Visit our Contributors' Pages:
Visit Family Christmas Online Visit Howard Lamey's own web page, LittleGlitterHouses.com Click to Sign Up for Maria Cudequest's Collectibles Blog
Visit Family Christmas Online Click to visit Papa Ted's Place - the ultimate cardboard Christmas house resource. Click to return to the Old Christmas Tree Lights Table of Contents Page

Note: To ask a question, sign up for our "Christmas Times" newsletter, or learn how
to apply for membership to this forum, please visit our Contact page.

Note: All content on this forum is Copyright (c) 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 by Paul D. Race
and by the posters who have contributed specific content. All material is for your personal use only. No content
or plans may be republished or sold, nor may any plans be used to make products to sell without prior written
permission from Paul D. Race and the individual who contributed the content or plan in question.
For permissions or questions about this policy, please contact us using our Contact page.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Peach and Blue Cat House
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:59 am 

Good evening!

I started a new house yesterday. I have it all ready to be primed. It is a copy of an original Peach house with sand finish and a Blue and white coco roof. I like this house for several reasons. The tri-color red white and blue coconut base is way cool. It features blue and gold windows, which are fairly uncommon. But I was excited to do this house also because the window sizes are the new Windoor 15L and 9L which were previously unavailable until now. Contact Pete Oehmen if you are looking for some. :)
All that said, this little house also has a Cat on it!! This is going to win me big points with my 4 year old.

I first saw this house not too long ago when I was working with Tom Hull on sizing the new windows. He had sent me a pic and I fell in love with it. Then I also noticed it more recently in a box set that is currently for sale on ebay.
So I reached out to Tom to get the measurements and he not only sent me very percise measurements and great pics but is also doing a mold of the kitty from his original. THANK YOU SO MUCH TOM!!!!

Tom also pointed out an oddity on his house, that is very curious, ther is a little bar in the corner on his original....who knows why it is there??? I made sure to add it in on my new one. :)

Heres a couple pics, the ones with the Cat are pics Tom sent to me, and the bottom one is from an ebay box set.
-Brian

Attachments:
Peach and Blue Cat House 1.jpg
Peach and Blue Cat House 1.jpg [ 152.4 KiB | Viewed 15322 times ]
DA2B.jpg
DA2B.jpg [ 11.71 KiB | Viewed 15322 times ]
$T2eC16dHJHYE9nzpfI2+BQp8d66VLw~~60_3.JPG
$T2eC16dHJHYE9nzpfI2+BQp8d66VLw~~60_3.JPG [ 108.77 KiB | Viewed 15322 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:25 am 
Site Admin

Great start, Brian!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:29 am 

another marvelous project!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:38 am 

Just a quick note here. The little bar or bracket that is a bit more emphasized in this photo is NOT on this house EXCEPT THIS ONE. I have two other like it one identical except for the cat the bar and the blue windows and another in yellow and faded red house with green base and a little different fence. No bars in any of these that I have seen. AND YES THIS and others like it is why I wanted these windows for so long. The 9L is MUCH more common than people may suppose and appears on a few very popular and often seen houses. It is a black one that sits at an angle too the base. The base is usually white though it can have a light cerise base and usually a red roof though I have one with a magenta foil roof.
Here is a close up of the bar and front window. NOTICE the white paint backing the window. This is an original error. Often the Japanese would use a thick white paint on the inside bottom edge to prevent light from leaking out and spoiling the effect. I have a very early small series of houses that had floors in them before they were put on the base seeking no doubt a light leak free house. TKH

Attachments:
EBAY SEPT 4 & House 161.JPG
EBAY SEPT 4 & House 161.JPG [ 157.26 KiB | Viewed 15308 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:51 am 

Thank you so much Paul and Maria!

Tom, I can't thank you enough! :) I didn't notice the paint behind the window before, I did notice some on the outside of the base by the cat where the house and base come together and I thought it was just snow. Now it makes more sense that it was probably seepage from sealing up the crack.

I got some work done on the house today. I primed it on my lunch break. It was raining here in Portland so it took twice as long to dry. Once it did, I was able to get the Red, White, and Blue coco on the base this evening. I really want to do another base or house with this tri-color coco again, it is soooo cooool!!! I took a pic of the base and close up of the coco so you can see how shiny it is.
I also got the sand finish on the parts that needed it too and they are drying as I type. My craft sand is white, and I had mixed in some mica powder for other projects, so its pretty sparkly right now, but once it finishes drying I'll paint the peach color over it.

Hope everyone is having a great night!
-Brian

Attachments:
Peach and Blue Cat House 2.jpg
Peach and Blue Cat House 2.jpg [ 167.74 KiB | Viewed 15287 times ]
Peach and Blue Cat House 3.jpg
Peach and Blue Cat House 3.jpg [ 133.99 KiB | Viewed 15287 times ]
Peach and Blue Cat House 4.jpg
Peach and Blue Cat House 4.jpg [ 176.47 KiB | Viewed 15287 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:21 am 
Site Admin

Brian, you are having way too much fun with that coconut!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:32 pm 

paul...i'd say all three...brian, tom and pete...are all having way too much fun!...

howard...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:55 am 

Yep! Having MUCHO fun here! :) I just about got this house all done. I'm trying to decide what to do next. I have a few original houses that need fixed up, but I've been enjoying building them from scratch so much, I think I'm going to do a few more first.

As I was getting close to finishing this house, I realized that the door on it had never been made before either. It is essentially a Papa Ted's part number PWD-1 or Arched Door 4 on the resource page, but with much lighter colors. So I did a few color tests until I got what I think is pretty accurate. Then printed them out on a color lazer printer.

Paul I'll send you the file if you want to add it to the resource page.

Here are a couple of pics. I took a close up of installed in the new house, and a side by side with the original so you can see the color difference.
Happy Sunday to everyone!
-Brian

Attachments:
Peach and Blue Cat House 5.jpg
Peach and Blue Cat House 5.jpg [ 289.58 KiB | Viewed 15254 times ]
Peach and Blue Cat House 6.jpg
Peach and Blue Cat House 6.jpg [ 286.02 KiB | Viewed 15254 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:44 am 

good morning...

new door...yes...paul...please add to the resources...

textured finish...brian...what's your "formula"?...

my very best regards...howard...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:33 pm 
Site Admin

Looks great, Brian. Thanks for sharing.