Let's talk about cardboard Christmas houses and accessories

Visit our Contributors' Pages:
Visit Family Christmas Online Visit Howard Lamey's own web page, LittleGlitterHouses.com Click to Sign Up for Maria Cudequest's Collectibles Blog
Visit Family Christmas Online Click to visit Papa Ted's Place - the ultimate cardboard Christmas house resource. Click to return to the Old Christmas Tree Lights Table of Contents Page

Note: To ask a question, sign up for our "Christmas Times" newsletter, or learn how
to apply for membership to this forum, please visit our Contact page.

Note: All content on this forum is Copyright (c) 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 by Paul D. Race
and by the posters who have contributed specific content. All material is for your personal use only. No content
or plans may be republished or sold, nor may any plans be used to make products to sell without prior written
permission from Paul D. Race and the individual who contributed the content or plan in question.
For permissions or questions about this policy, please contact us using our Contact page.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: School building?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:18 am 

Good Morning, was checking my email this morning and saw this in my daily ebay updates. I've never seen this house or these windows before, anybody know what it is? Dolly, Japan, Other?

Heres the link..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-Paper- ... 1806685576?

Hope everybody has been well!
-Brian

Attachments:
School.jpg
School.jpg [ 215.98 KiB | Viewed 14920 times ]
 Post subject: Re: School building?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:38 pm 
Site Admin

Brian, thanks for posting, but it's new to me, too. - Paul

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:45 am 

hello, brian...i see a couple of other houses in that ebay offering i have never seen...perhaps a new house project or two...

howard...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:00 pm 

I found out that they were made by Dilco Co. USA. for train sets back in the day.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:32 pm 

A little background on Dilco a.k.a. the Dill brothers http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2003-1 ... n-brothers

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:28 pm 
Site Admin

Maria, thanks for tracking it down.

BTW, a "Train Garden" in Baltimore was an elaborate Christmas village usually with a train and sometimes with a nativity, very much like the putzes of the Pennsylvanian Moravians that Papa Ted admired. Back when houses had parlors, the dad would sometime close the door the first of December and keep the kids out until Christmas day, filling every flat surface and square foot of floor space with trains, buildings, and accessories. In Baltimore, the weather was warm enough to keep the fire trucks out on the pavement until New Years, and the fire departments would compete to see who could make the most elaborate "train garden" in the empty bays. The term "train garden" persists until this day, though the tradition has become very much "scaled back."

Here's the article free of popups:

---------------------------------------------------------

For Dill brothers, it all started with Christmas train gardens
December 20, 2003|By JACQUES KELLY

IT WAS in a moment of Christmas frustration, when the electrical wires and the raw cotton batting were tangling, that I gave serious thought to the little cardboard village houses I was attempting to illuminate. On the bottoms of these 5-inch-high, 1930s bungalows and railroad station was the monogram-like motto, the Dill Co., Baltimore, Dilco Toys.

In last week's column, I begged for help identifying these miniatures, whose origin had long eluded me. Presto. I soon heard from all sorts of Dills, former Dill employees and happy customers.

I learned Dill Co. was organized in the mid-1930s by three brothers, Joseph Irving Dill (the industrial designer), F. Kennard Dill (the salesman) and William Edward Dill (the accountant) in the basement of their parents' home at 4310 Ethland Ave., Forest Park.

The Dills, after initial education at All Saints School, went on to Loyola or Poly, and began making Christmas garden houses at the height of the late-1920s Baltimore Christmas garden boom. Their fastidious handwork made them the talk of Forest Park. They soon outgrew the cellar and moved to the garage and began selling their wares. Word has it that local firefighters who made and sold their own little houses did not like the Dill competition.

By the middle 1930s, the Dills' father lent them some capital, and they rented a place at 164 N. Gay St. (The building is now the M.B. Klein toy train and model house emporium.) The brothers were busy toy makers. In addition to their Christmas garden houses, they conceived, designed, produced and sold wooden airplanes, a wagon, pony cart, pull toys, a fort and a star to top a Christmas tree. They sold to local department stores and had a Fifth Avenue, New York, wholesale sales office. F.A.O. Schwarz was a customer. Even during the Depression, their houses were not cheap. They were also well made on stamping, gluing and silkscreen machines the Dills built themselves.

Their toy business dissolved entirely during World War II; playthings were not considered a defense priority. Two brothers joined the military and served with distinction; the third was unable to serve because of a punctured eardrum. After the war, the trio reunited and started a Reisterstown furniture-making business, whose line included an early television table.

Kennard Dill later worked for the Zamoiski Co. in kitchen sales. Irving went on to manage Stanco Furniture, and Edward had a career as an electro-mechanical engineer with Raytheon Co., and helped invent a powered car antenna, a CAT scanner at the Mayo Clinic and the Patriot missile defense system. All the brothers are now deceased.

Kennard's son, Thomas X. Dill, now 44, turned out to be handy with wood. He commutes daily from Port Deposit to West Baltimore's Carver Vocational-Technical High School, where he teaches cabinet-making.

"These brothers' love for each other, and their family knit them together through the decades in both professional and private life," he told me one day this week. "I have many wonderful memories of the Christmas holidays spent with my uncles and their families. From a very early age, these boys' hearts, and their dedication to one another and the family as a whole, served as the model for all of us."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:47 am 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-PUTZ-Christ ... Sw5ZBWIpDA

Here's another listing for more Dill Brother's houses, including a rough pink version of that "schoolhouse."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:55 am 

Will, Maria, and Paul, Thanks so much for the info! There is some great stuff in there!

Howard...sadly no new houses at this time :( I'm hoping to do a restore before Christmas of a clock house for my brother though...need more time!!!

Hope everybody has a great weekend!
-Brian

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:49 pm 

I am not sure who made this School building but it is a USA likely late 1920's or early 30's. I have it as well as an especially ugly church and have seen others with these odd printed tissue paper windows. I have a Dilco and it is a printed building and much larger that this building - more like an O gauge building ought to be. Tom