Let's talk about cardboard Christmas houses and accessories

Visit our Contributors' Pages:
Visit Family Christmas Online Visit Howard Lamey's own web page, LittleGlitterHouses.com Click to Sign Up for Maria Cudequest's Collectibles Blog
Visit Family Christmas Online Click to visit Papa Ted's Place - the ultimate cardboard Christmas house resource. Click to return to the Old Christmas Tree Lights Table of Contents Page

Note: To ask a question, sign up for our "Christmas Times" newsletter, or learn how
to apply for membership to this forum, please visit our Contact page.

Note: All content on this forum is Copyright (c) 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 by Paul D. Race
and by the posters who have contributed specific content. All material is for your personal use only. No content
or plans may be republished or sold, nor may any plans be used to make products to sell without prior written
permission from Paul D. Race and the individual who contributed the content or plan in question.
For permissions or questions about this policy, please contact us using our Contact page.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:04 am 

Howard,

I have a question about building the witches' lair. At first I glued the long side pieces straight across the building flat along the horizontal part of the roof line. And I was really happy because I knew it would keep my house square (which is a really problem for me as I am a messy and somewhat impatient gluer). Then days later I realized that that would cut off the light to the upper window. So I peeled those supports back. I had already cut the little tiny flaps at the base of the gable off because I thought they were redundant. I am going to score these flaps and glue them to follow the roofline. Is that what you planned with those flaps? I am always trying to learn how to build the houses better.

I am having fun with the witches' lair. I think it is a lovely pattern and design - well, maybe not lovely - scarily cute . Here is a picture of the house in progress. Please pardon the glue stains and rough edges. I just can't seem to do them neatly so I have to compensate with paint and sand.

Thank you for your help.
Lucy

Attachments:
witches lair in progress.jpg
witches lair in progress.jpg [ 22.51 KiB | Viewed 13246 times ]
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 3:17 am 

I just came back to say that I realize that you did score those long flaps. Now the next question is - do the roof gable flaps go under the side flaps or on top? One of my biggest problems is getting the roofs to stick at the very top of the gable. I often have a gap there. If the roof gable flaps go under the long side flaps it seems like it would push the roof upward and would make a gap. I guess I answered my own question.

Lucy

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:49 am 

lucy...

i think you've figured out how the long tabs on the sides are scored and folded...and then glued to the tabs on the edges of the roof...but here's a picture of the assembly...

there is a gap at the top...but that is covered by the one-piece folded roof...then the individual shingles are glued to the one-piece folded roof...

my very best regards...howard...

update on witches' lair project...it's kinda "jinxed"...or "cursed"...but the "spell" will wear off soon...i hope...and i can finish it!... :twisted:

Attachments:
witches-lair-side-tabs.JPG
witches-lair-side-tabs.JPG [ 173.18 KiB | Viewed 13244 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 11:25 am 

I sort of did it backwards, but I see how that works. The edges are nice and flat so it won't force the roof up and cause a gap. And those long side flaps will keep the gables from collapsing inward.

I hope the spell is removed soon. I look forward to seeing the witches' lair completed.

Thank you again.
Lucy

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:58 pm 

lucy...

at least part of the spell has been broken...the "flattie" part...

here she is...a family-friendly witch...lots of colors...after painting, i added two dip coats of Min-Wax brand high gloss clear acrylic polyurethane...yes, i dipped...no brushes...after dipping, i vigorously sling off as much finish as possible and let dry between coats...

the ground cover on the base of the witch is a dukes mixture of lots of stuff...model railroad scenery grass, dirt, dried leaf pieces and sawdust...it's all been run through a small coffee bean blender first...the base will be covered with the same thing...

making slow progress on the rest of the pieces...added a chimney to the house...then changed it twice...the base is finished...

my very best regards...

howard...

Attachments:
IMG_2318.JPG
IMG_2318.JPG [ 115.58 KiB | Viewed 13238 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:55 pm 

Howard I love her!! Everything about her is perfect she was well worth the wait!! I have not tried my hand at making a flattie but i will be making her that is for sure. Does she have a name?

Dipping her in the polyurethane, I don't think I would trust myself :o

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:58 pm 

Howard,

This is a wonderful, wonderful witch for your current project. I love the sleeves, the buttons on the coat, the red shoes with buttons, the crookery broom, the orange hair and green face, etc. It is wonderful. I will try to do this one, I think. Any mistakes may look intentional.

The dipping in the clear acrylic worked really well. It gives a great shine and looks durable as well. May have to dip some innocuous objects before I dip any masterpiece in the poly.

Lucy

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:46 am 

I can't really add anything new to the comments above, but your witch flattie is enchanting. Love the shine and the depth it shows.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:08 am 

Did not know what I was going to do on yet another rainy day.... until this! Howard, she is FABULOUS!

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:14 am 

Howard, I am chuckling out loud at your latest creations... the house and lady-of-the-house are both just inspired.
I believe Halloween is becoming the major "holiday" in the US ... we may all have to fall down this rabbit hole.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next