Let's talk about cardboard Christmas houses and accessories

Visit our Contributors' Pages:
Visit Family Christmas Online Visit Howard Lamey's own web page, LittleGlitterHouses.com Click to Sign Up for Maria Cudequest's Collectibles Blog
Visit Family Christmas Online Click to visit Papa Ted's Place - the ultimate cardboard Christmas house resource. Click to return to the Old Christmas Tree Lights Table of Contents Page

Note: To ask a question, sign up for our "Christmas Times" newsletter, or learn how
to apply for membership to this forum, please visit our Contact page.

Note: All content on this forum is Copyright (c) 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 by Paul D. Race
and by the posters who have contributed specific content. All material is for your personal use only. No content
or plans may be republished or sold, nor may any plans be used to make products to sell without prior written
permission from Paul D. Race and the individual who contributed the content or plan in question.
For permissions or questions about this policy, please contact us using our Contact page.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:55 pm 

I have wanted to make little houses for such a long time, but I didn't really have a place to put them or know what I was going to do with them. This year after finishing building a real house for my brother and in between some renovation that has to wait for fall, I decided the time is right for little houses. I had to come up with somewhere for them to go so I decided to have a fundraiser for a Head Start school that my work adopts for Christmas. I figure it's easier to do it in October than December when everyone is too busy. So I am making Halloween houses that I'm going to sell to support the Christmas Head Start program.

I am posting a few here so you can see what I've been up to. I call them "scrapbook-type houses" because mostly they are covered with paper, rather than paint and glitter. I am a little scared to post them, but this is such a kindly forum, I know I don't have anything to worry about. The three houses are "Steampunk Lock and Key House" (the artsy type house according to my brother), my first "Clock House" and one I call the "Flying Witch House". The clock house is almost all done, it needs some pumpkins and a little halloween decor. The Steampunk Lock and Key house is done. And the Flying Witch House will some more decor and a little glitter.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge so I figure out how to do build these little houses.

Lucy

Attachment:
steampunk house - small.jpg
steampunk house - small.jpg [ 16.11 KiB | Viewed 16182 times ]
Attachment:
clock house on a frosty morn - small.jpg
clock house on a frosty morn - small.jpg [ 16.4 KiB | Viewed 16182 times ]
Attachment:
Flying Witch House - small.jpg
Flying Witch House - small.jpg [ 16.55 KiB | Viewed 16182 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:29 am 
Site Admin

Lucy, these are all very nice. I love the roof on the clock house, and I love all of the fences especially! - Paul

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:50 pm 

very spooky houses!...the kind i like!...excellent work!...where did you get the fences?...they are really interesting!...

my very best regards...howard...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:57 pm 

I am a big fan of Halloween houses and your's are great! Like Howard I am also interested in the neat fences.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:42 pm 

Thank you for your kind words. I am having some trouble making the fences. I cannot make the pillars straight. I never score them right so that the edges are parallel, but if you are making a Halloween house it's ok if things are a little crooked. I hope to be better by the time I make Christmas houses which should have straighter, neater lines.

My Lock and Key house used a Tim Holtz Sizzix On the Edge Die called "Iron Gate". I glued 3 layers of colored card stock together to make that fence. I think the die is discontinued, but you sometimes see it on ebay. I "antiqued" it a little bit with some white paint.

The Flying Witch House is made with a Martha Stewart edge punch called "Creepy Fence". Again I laminated several layers together to make it more substantial. This one is also discontinued, but still can be found on Amazon and ebay from time to time. I also edged it with some white distressing paint which gives it that blue color.

But my favorite is the fence on the Clock House. It's a combination of 2 different fences. The gate is from Tim Holtz Sizzix Decorative Strip Ironwork Gate die. I punched that out with 2 layers of cardboard that I glued together and painted black. That die is kind of pain to work with because you have to pick out all these little pieces carefully so you won't tear the cardboard.

The fence itself is a Martha Stewart edge punch called "Iron Fence". That punch will not punch cardboard or even 110 # card stock so I have to glue together 4-5 layers of 65# card stock as the design is more fragile. With those layers glued together and a little glue and glitter it's pretty strong. It is my favorite fence by far.

For the size of the clock house, I should have made a bigger base to show both the house and the fence better. Also more room for spooky decor. That was my major design flaw on that house.

The fences take me hours but I think they really add a lot to the houses. Oh, and I haven't glued the houses to the bases yet. I always think I need to do one more thing before I glue them down.

Thank you again for your kind comments.
Lucy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:33 pm 

Truly a labor of love! Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:37 pm 

Especially love the clock house!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:33 pm 
Site Admin

Lucy, thanks for the tips on the fences. They all look great!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:38 pm 
Site Admin

Lucy, I e-mailed you to get your permission to use your houses in my Big Indoor Trains newsletter. Then I did it anyway. Hope you don't mind. They're SO MUCH FUN!