So, I tried the same thing with a "streamlined" version of Howard's Balcony Dolly plan and some posterboard (I bought two pieces at Dollar Tree just for this experiment. They're quite flimsy, but I have to start somewhere.)
This is what Howard's plan looks like on the Sure Cuts-A-Lot screen.
howards_balcony_dolly_plans_on_scal.jpg [ 97.62 KiB | Viewed 32 times ]
Cricut recommended the blade set to three, single cut, medium pressure.
That scored the posterboard. Also, the dotted lines I had created in Corel Draw cut as solid lines in Sure Cuts-a-Lot. So I went back and made actual dotted lines, as you can see in the drawing above.
I kept setting the blade to higher numbers, and all it did was score the posterboard a little bit deeper.
I didn't go right to maximum settings because I didn't want ruin the blade slicing up the mat.
Then I put the "deep cut" blade in and started working my way up. Still just scoring the posterboard for the most part. Eventually a few pieces would be cut deeply enough to pop part of them out, but not enough to be useful. The photo below shows my first four cuts, which used up an entire .50 piece of posterboard. Ask me why I didn't start with something more expensive.
howards_balcony_dolly_failures.jpg [ 53.16 KiB | Viewed 32 times ]
Finally, I set the Cricut's "deep cut" blade to 4, set the multi-cut to 2, and set it to maximum pressure. It worked, and didn't slice up the mat too badly.
howards_balcony_dolly_cut_out.jpg [ 77.06 KiB | Viewed 32 times ]
After I popped the pieces off the mat, I folded them along the dotted lines I had made. The posterboard is too thin to make it feel like the old timey houses. But my plan would work, and this is a start.
howards_balcony_dolly_off_mat.jpg [ 57.35 KiB | Viewed 32 times ]