Let's talk about cardboard Christmas houses and accessories

Visit our Contributors' Pages:
Visit Family Christmas Online Visit Howard Lamey's own web page, LittleGlitterHouses.com Click to Sign Up for Maria Cudequest's Collectibles Blog
Visit Family Christmas Online Click to visit Papa Ted's Place - the ultimate cardboard Christmas house resource. Click to return to the Old Christmas Tree Lights Table of Contents Page

Note: To ask a question, sign up for our "Christmas Times" newsletter, or learn how
to apply for membership to this forum, please visit our Contact page.

Note: All content on this forum is Copyright (c) 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 by Paul D. Race
and by the posters who have contributed specific content. All material is for your personal use only. No content
or plans may be republished or sold, nor may any plans be used to make products to sell without prior written
permission from Paul D. Race and the individual who contributed the content or plan in question.
For permissions or questions about this policy, please contact us using our Contact page.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cricut update
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:06 pm 
Site Admin

Okay, I saw a used Cricut Mini at the thrift shop for $40, and friends have told me that the new Cricut software is much "friendlier" than the old stuff. So I bought it to try out.

UPDATE: CRICUT MINI IS NOW A DOORSTOP. I'm glad I took mine back when I had the chance. It ONLY ran on Cricut Craft Room, which Cricut was forced to remove from its servers when Adobe stopped supporting the underlying "Flash" software.

It worked fine printing built-in graphics, the software installed like a charm, and then I got down and dirty with it. While it has more built-in shapes that the original Cricuts, it still keeps you from cutting patterns you made with non-ProvoCraft programs.
UPDATE: CRICUT CRAFT ROOM IS DEAD

You can save the .ccr (Cricut Craft Room) files you create, then share them with other people, so that's a good thing.

I thought, maybe if I got REAL creative with the limited built-in stuff, I could make .ccr files that would meet the needs of readers who can't use the .svg files we provided at pages like https://www.cardboardchristmas.com/html ... terns.html

But when I have REAL graphic software on my computer, it grinds me to have to make the "Basic Shapes" do, er, basic shapes. And if I use a cartridge that the reader doesn't have, the other person won't be able to use the file anyway. I thought, even if I really did get creative and made some nice files that anybody with a Cricut could cut, all I'd really be doing was either encouraging people to buy the wrong machine, or helping them to feel better about buying the wrong machine.

Fortunately our thrift shop lets me take stuff back. It will make nice doilies or whatever for someone who's endlessly satisfied with other folks' graphics.

I also learned that if I leave the Cricut Craft Room software installed on my PC when I hook up my old hacked Cricut Expression, which I CAN drive from my PC, the software will reconfigure the firmware on the Expression so I cant use it after all. So I'll have to make certain that every bit of ProvoCraft software is removed before I start using my big old machine again.

So four years ago, when I started writing about these things, my strongest warning was "Don't Buy a Cricut." In the meantime, some folks had some luck using external files with the Cricut Explore series. But they've discontinued those, so (in my best Rosanne Rosannadanna voice) "Never Mind.

BTW, here is the original article about craftcutters: https://bigindoortrains.com/primer/buil ... utters.htm

Here's my update about craftcutters for 2017: Don't Buy a Cricut! :-) Especially with the Silhouette Cameo line getting so many nice features. :-)

Have a great spring, all!

Post subject: Re: Cricut update
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:49 am 

Greetings to all...

Here's a link to a topic on the "silhouette camer cutter"...it's on a British model train forum I follow...99% of the tech stuff is way over my head...but since Paul mentioned the "silhouette cameo cutter"...I thought I post here...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79025-a-guide-to-using-the-silhouette-cameo-cutter/page-1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:24 am 
Site Admin

Howard, thanks for the link. Glad to see these devices being put to such good use.

Paul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:06 pm 

They still make the Cricut Explore.. It's still on the cricut.com.. And there is a version on HSN. And just this weekend I have seen it at Hobby Lobby, Michaels and Joann's The software can be slow. That can be a hardware issue. They have done some updates to the software, but they need to make more.

I import other peoples SVG files to Cricut Design Space all the time. I download from many online sources. The Cricut Explore will also cut from png's, jpg and dxf or even a gif. Sometimes I have issues using it with chrome. Something about flash. So sometimes I have to use MS Internet Explorer. It doesn't happen every time I use the software. But I usually clear the cache and reboot and it's fine.

I did find that when I designed my church in Inkscape year before last, that I had to import sections one at a time.
the software just was toooooo slow to open many items in the same file. But that was
over a year ago, they might have that fixed by now
I love my Cricut, and I use it every few days, but I am not using it exclusively for house making.
Debbie W

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:48 pm 

I too use a Cricut for some of my cutting and have found it helpful. Design Space recently was updated and it now handles Chrome much better than before, all but eliminating the dreaded Flash error messages.

That said, it does nothing new, ability wise. It's just quicker and a bit more graphically pleasing. Older Cricut machines are in a different category - they do not have the ability to use Design Space. (for non Cricut folks, Design Space is the online software you use to make the Cricut cut what you want.) An older machine may not be the best investment for putzing, IMO.

Cricut also has a print & cut feature that allows you to import jpg, png, bmp and other file formats so you can cut those items. Not PDFs, alas! As Debbie noted, large complex files can really slow down the cutting process, so it's sometimes best to break a large project into several files.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:37 pm 
Site Admin

I've updated my Craftcutter article here:

https://bigindoortrains.com/primer/buil ... utters.htm

Cricut Explore does allow you to import original graphic files, so that's a good thing. It's cumbersome, though, compared to some non-Cricut solutions.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:32 am 

Thank you. May be getting a used one. We shall see.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:47 pm 
I've been using my cricut to cut a variety of houses. I use the shapes menu and cut and weld to get what I need. It has limitations and I'm trying to learn another program. I'm trying to attach a photo. I'm not sure it worked.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:52 pm 
I have a Cricut Maker, Explore as well as a Silhouette Cameo. I can bring in any SVG file into Cricut design space but the software is definitely limited. I tend to use Inkscape to create anything and just bring it over. Sometimes there are a few hiccups when uploading into Design Space so I found that saving the SVG to a plain SVG solves those issues. I use both the Maker and explore often and both can handle most everything. My Silhouette Cameo I tend to use for very fine, intricate cuts or very large, off the mat projects. I have done a few things for work which needed to be larger than any mat sizes.

I am not the best with using an Exacto knife so I try to bring everything in as an SVG. I would rather trace the image in Inkscape because I can clean it up faster and easier than trying to clean something up in design space - but that is just me.

Cricut is currently moving to a desktop version and will eliminate the web-based version by January 29th I believe. I think that may resolve some issues people were having regarding the speed and performance but the desktop version has its own set of problems so time will tell. I realize this is an older thread but thought I would chime in with my own personal experiences.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:06 pm 

Iris wrote:
Cricut is currently moving to a desktop version and will eliminate the web-based version by January 29th I believe. I think that may resolve some issues people were having regarding the speed and performance but the desktop version has its own set of problems so time will tell. I realize this is an older thread but thought I would chime in with my own personal experiences.

I have a maker as well. I've always been happy with the cutter itself but their design space is, without question, the worse software I have ever had to deal with in 20 years. The desktop version they've moved to is not much better. The speed is actually okay, but I've never dealt with a program that consistently has trouble finding it's own device. There's smaller issues as well.