Let's talk about cardboard Christmas houses and accessories

Visit our Contributors' Pages:
Visit Family Christmas Online Visit Howard Lamey's own web page, LittleGlitterHouses.com Click to Sign Up for Maria Cudequest's Collectibles Blog
Visit Family Christmas Online Click to visit Papa Ted's Place - the ultimate cardboard Christmas house resource. Click to return to the Old Christmas Tree Lights Table of Contents Page

Note: To ask a question, sign up for our "Christmas Times" newsletter, or learn how
to apply for membership to this forum, please visit our Contact page.

Note: All content on this forum is Copyright (c) 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 by Paul D. Race
and by the posters who have contributed specific content. All material is for your personal use only. No content
or plans may be republished or sold, nor may any plans be used to make products to sell without prior written
permission from Paul D. Race and the individual who contributed the content or plan in question.
For permissions or questions about this policy, please contact us using our Contact page.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Music box Church
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:27 pm 

Paul wrote Sep 10, 2015 ...I jumped in to respond to say that a cardboard building will make those little music boxes sound great. The more solid the building the better. And especially you'll have to make it so the thing can be wound up without the building being bent out of shape - maybe a solid wooden base or some such. All told, it's a great idea. Let me know if I can help with your designs or whatever... - Paul

Ok so here are the music boxes that I purchased...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/371236025447
I also purchased some T-bar key extensions, this way I have lots of room for winding up the music box.
I am trying to work out how to mount the music box inside the church. I like Paul's idea of using wood for the base. Might be tricky, I am in a condo and do not have a workshop for wood working tools. Maybe I can get them to cut it to size at Home Depot.

So how do I actually mount the music box to the wood? I do not want the key on the bottom of the base, so the music box will have to be on its side. What is that stuff called that is a flexible metal with holes every few inches. I am thinking I could wrap this around the music box and then screw it to the wood base? Unless someone has a better idea.

FYI The description of the music box says they outer plastic casing can be removed and I see there are 4 small screw holes on the metal base. This would make it easier to mound but I found that this did NOT improve the sound.

It's beginning to look like Christmas at my house...

Debbie W

Post subject: Re: Music box Church
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:13 pm 

hello...

the metal item you mentioned is called "plumber's strap"...your local hardware store and the big box home retailers have it...just a word of caution...the ends and edges are sharp...

about the music box...i'm pretty certain there are mounting holes in the metal base of the music box...you'll see them when the white cover comes off...

about mounting the music boxes on wood...i have a suggestion...but have to make a sketch first...i'll post later today or tomorrow...it's a simple solution...

howard...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:17 pm 

debbie...

when you get the actual music boxes, keys and the extensions in you hands...and have the patterns for the church worked out...let me know...

i can't do a sketch as i though without a little more info...especially due to the winding hole location on the music box...you might have to mount the music box on inside of the back wall or side wall...but it can be done...

how many churches do you plan to make?...

howard...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:25 am 

Hi everyone--here's my vintage music box church if it provides any inspiration--

It's actually not made from too "dense" a cardboard--nor is it terribly lightweight--but when I put it away each year it gets its own place on a shelf....

The sound comes out of the large house--the holes are backed by cellophane

Attachments:
mbhouse.jpg
mbhouse.jpg [ 142.87 KiB | Viewed 17793 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:37 pm 

Howard wrote..
when you get the actual music boxes, keys and the extensions in your hands...and have the patterns for the church worked out...let me know... i can't do a sketch ...without a little more info...especially due to the winding hole location on the music box...you might have to mount the music box on inside of the back wall or side wall...but it can be done... how many churches do you plan to make?...
Howard thanks for your response. The music box does have mounting holes on the metal part that is encased in the plastic box that surrounds the music movement. After testing the sound with and without the plastic surround, I am thinking I would want to keep the movement in the plastic box since it seems to be louder when the movement is in the box.

Here is a photo of my Grandma's country church.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1140906961 ... 1735379074
This is the only slide image I have, and this is from the 1960's, before several remodels and a handicap entrance was added. I have not finished the church design. I do not plan to add basement windows, a basement door or the chimney. Right now the main part of the church is 5 by 2 inches (excluding the entrance/tower). So far I have most of the church designed in Inkscape software. If you use the right arrow on the link above you can see where I am so far with the design. The tower is giving me some trouble. It appears to be a six sided tower and I am trying to work through the math. The Inkscape software is giving me trouble and is not working with the Cricut Design Space platform. It imports very huge, I resize the image, it looks great on the screen then when I try to cut it, the size changes to very tiny. I might have to use graph paper and a craft knife. Not the end of the world, but it will take more time, especially since I want to make more than one. At least two this year.

But back to the music box, since the church is long and narrow, I am thinking that the music box movement will need to be towards the back on one of the side walls. I still want to add a light hole to the very back panel. Maybe I can convert/redesign one of the back windows to be a hole for the t-key. So, what do you think? maybe an L-shaped piece of wood and some of that plumbers strap? I do have an electric drill a very nice hand held Japanese saw and a small wood miter box. (think picture frame size) Thanks for offering to help.

Maria... love your music box too. It looks pristine. Thanks for sharing.
Debbie W

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:40 pm 

hello...

hope these two sketches (with notes) make sense...it's going to be a tight fit...but can be done...

my very best regards...howard...

Attachments:
church-inside-right-possible-mounting.jpeg
church-inside-right-possible-mounting.jpeg [ 144.19 KiB | Viewed 17768 times ]
church-outside-right-possible-mounting.jpeg
church-outside-right-possible-mounting.jpeg [ 76.4 KiB | Viewed 17768 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:38 pm 

Hello,

I have not read this string carefully but I do have a music box putz church. The church lifts off from the base, candy box style, and the music mechanicsm is in the "candy container" part of the box. The key to wind up the music box is in the back of the church. I'm not sure I'm providing any useful information or any that hasn't already been said, but just putting it out there. I can provide a picture if you are interested, just have to dig around in the attic a bit.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:03 pm 

Howard, I think your sketch is exactly what I will do. This should allow me to skip the metal straps I was thinking of using. My music box is in a two part plastic box. Right now it has three short screws holding the movement to a flat plastic base. I think if I replace those short screws with some longer ones, I can screw through the wood, the plastic base and into the music movement.
Then snap the curved cover over the movement. I guess it is off to Hobby Lobby for a piece of basswood?
I'll take photos as I go.. Thanks again. Debbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:08 pm 

Barb, the more pictures the better. Please share.. Debbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:15 pm 

Here is the latest on my music box church. I have the math figured out and the pieces of the church are cut. For the spire I ended up using my Electric Quilt design software to pull up a 16 slice wheel block. I used only 7 sections. I think it was about a 5 1/2 inch circle and left about 1/2 inch tabs on the bottom to glue to the top of the tower.
I was able to get my Cricut Explore to cut the church, but now without some software issues. I created the church file in Inkscape and the Cricut Design space would allow me to import the file, but the file came in at 800 inches. I resized the file to fit the cutting mat in the software and hit "go" to cut. Now the image is only 2 inches. I had used other imported SVG files from other designers so I know it should work. I patiently worked with the Inkscape software and figured out that if I cut and pasted each element of the church into it's own file and saved it as "PLAIN SVG" then it would import to Cricut at the correct size. Lots of extra work, but I still prefer this than to cutting windows.

I used the custom settings for light or heavy chipboard depending on what brand of cereal box I was cutting. The Wheaties box from Costco is much heavier cardstock than other brands. Go figure.
Here is a picture of all the bits and pieces I have cut. Still need an arch for the tower doorway and a bump out on the roof.

I decided not to cut a hole for a light bulb. I am sure mom will want to display this in her glass curio cabinet to keep it away from her 3 very active cats. I am thinking the church could be lit with a couple of battery tea lights/votive candles. She will need to be able to get them in an out and I do not have the option to make the church removable from the base after the music box is attached. I figure I need a "hinged" door. Has anyone done this? What do you use for the hardware? For the hinge, would just an extra layer of chipboard be ok? What can I use for the door knob? Maybe a loop of ribbon? Do I put a stopper on the inside to keep it from pushing inside the church? If anyone has any houses like this, I would love to see a photo.
Thanks Debbie W

Attachments:
church in pieces small.JPG
church in pieces small.JPG [ 22 KiB | Viewed 17509 times ]