Let's talk about cardboard Christmas houses and accessories

Visit our Contributors' Pages:
Visit Family Christmas Online Visit Howard Lamey's own web page, LittleGlitterHouses.com Click to Sign Up for Maria Cudequest's Collectibles Blog
Visit Family Christmas Online Click to visit Papa Ted's Place - the ultimate cardboard Christmas house resource. Click to return to the Old Christmas Tree Lights Table of Contents Page

Note: To ask a question, sign up for our "Christmas Times" newsletter, or learn how
to apply for membership to this forum, please visit our Contact page.

Note: All content on this forum is Copyright (c) 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 by Paul D. Race
and by the posters who have contributed specific content. All material is for your personal use only. No content
or plans may be republished or sold, nor may any plans be used to make products to sell without prior written
permission from Paul D. Race and the individual who contributed the content or plan in question.
For permissions or questions about this policy, please contact us using our Contact page.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Brother Craftcutter?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:15 am 
Site Admin

A reader writes:

Hi, Paul. I am interested in making putz villages that are set up with trains. I read your article on cutters and wonder if you have seen or reviewed the Brother Scan N Cut 2, which will scan patterns and download them into the machine, and also the Cricut Maker, the latest Cricut Machine. The Brother has a price tag of $699 for the scan feature while the Cricut Maker -- where you would use Cricut Design Space on your computer and then download the design into the Cricut Maker - is priced at $399. I wondered if you plan to look these over and whether we might see another addendum to your cutter article. I appreciate your writing and expertise very much. Your practical approach moves past the hype. -- I have been researching for 3 months between these two cutters. Brother seems to have a difficult learning curve for some and seems like more trouble than it's worth. I am an elder lady, don't mind buying a machine for putz use exclusively as it would save my hands from
so much
cutting of tiny things. Thanks again for your practical comments. I look forward to anything you might add to this subject.

----------------------------------------

Thanks for getting in touch. I guess I've neglected to report on the newer products since I like designing my graphics on my computer using software I have used on the job since the 1980s.

As I understand it, the Brother machine doesn't link up to a computer. So if you have a graphic on your computer you want to reproduce on the Brother, you need to print it out and then scan it in, which is easy for simple graphics and appeals to people who don't want to fuss with a separate computer. But it doesn't meet my needs.

The new Cricuts and their online software finally allow people to import patterns that were created elsewhere, something that several other brands have been allowing for several years. I tried a Cricut Explore with the new software and it works okay, but I couldn't see any clear advantage over using Sure Cuts-a-Lot with a cutter that NEVER kept you from importing patterns.

Sorry, that's not much help, I suppose.

Are you a computer user today? You might find the Cricut line more useful.

If you're pretty good on computer, you might find the Sizzix Exclips2 even more useful. :-)
https://www.sizzix.com/659860/sizzix-ec ... tarter-kit

Sorry if all I've done is add to your confusion.

- Paul

Post subject: Re: Brother Craftcutter?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:17 am 
Site Admin

The reader replies:

Yes, but you scan it right into the Scan N Cut itself and save it there. It goes through on the cutting mat and scans into the machine. The computer is for designs that are online or that you design in their Brother design space then download to the machine. Lots to learn. Thanks again.

--------------------------------------------

I may be wrong about the Brother 650, but I was told you couldn't import patterns without going through the scan function. Cricut Maker should also have more users who can help with questions. I'm not a Cricut fan per se. My Cricut is one of the old Expressions that you could use with a computer and 3rd party software; I was cheezed when they required everyone to "upgrade" and it turned out that the function of the upgrade was to keep you from using 3rd party software.

That said, I have NOT BEGUN to use or even test the full capacity of my Cricut Expressions (which I subsequently hacked and have continued to use with Sure Cuts-a-Lot (sCAL). So maybe I should use it to death before I ugrade to something else. Again, I like the look of the Eclips2 bec a use they say it has a more robust design. And the Silhouette Cameo line has some nice features, too.

I wish there was more information on cutting poster-board-thickness cardboard - what you might need for cutting putz house walls. Both the Cricut Maker and the Eclips2 says they will cut cardboard from cereal boxes. The Brother is even more robust, so that shouldn't be a problem for it.

If you're interested in cutting fabric at all, seems like the Cricut Maker is your best choice. Also, the Cricut community is pretty big and active.

Sorry I can't be more specific.
- Paul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:40 pm 

Sorry I cannot address the question of the Brother Scan N Cut. But I'll chime in regarding a Cricut. I have a Cricut Explore and I used it to cut cereal boxes for the Church that I made for mom. I did create these as original files with free Inkscape software and them uploaded them to my Cricut Design Space account. You can see the church photos and comments here viewtopic.php?f=4&t=962&p=6420#p6420.
I have found that I can use a regular blade and the "light chipboard" setting where the blade makes 2 passes for each cut line it works fine on ceral boxes. I do start with a new blade. A full list of materials the explore series will cut can be found here; http://help.cricut.com/help/cricut-expl ... gs#explore The cricut will allow you to upload a plain SVG from any source, or a bmp, jpg or PNG. I have found that these items work best when colored in before you upload them. And double check that the scoring lines are "attached" in the software.
Last year Provocraft came out with the Cricut Maker which is supposed to be stronger and faster and has a larger list of materials and a better scoring wheel (that scoring wheel does not work in the Explore series). The Maker also comes with a higher price tag. The material list for the Maker includes a heavy weight chipboard and it says the machine makes 20 passes and requires the knife blade/deep cut blade. http://help.cricut.com/help/cricut-expl ... ings#maker
I am not ready to run out and purchase a Cricut Maker at this point, but I think it would be a really good investment.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:51 pm 

One of my friends made this 3D tree https://jennifermaker.com/3d-family-tree-from-wood-paper/out of 1/16 basswood with her Cricut Maker. I am trying to learn Inkscape so I can make SVG patterns, not because I have a Cricut, but so people who do have one can use the patterns.

The technology is pretty impressive, but I still kind of like the irregularities with hand cut stuff (that is, except for windows, I don't do windows).

Lucy