Let's talk about cardboard Christmas houses and accessories

Visit our Contributors' Pages:
Visit Family Christmas Online Visit Howard Lamey's own web page, LittleGlitterHouses.com Click to Sign Up for Maria Cudequest's Collectibles Blog
Visit Family Christmas Online Click to visit Papa Ted's Place - the ultimate cardboard Christmas house resource. Click to return to the Old Christmas Tree Lights Table of Contents Page

Note: To ask a question, sign up for our "Christmas Times" newsletter, or learn how
to apply for membership to this forum, please visit our Contact page.

Note: All content on this forum is Copyright (c) 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 by Paul D. Race
and by the posters who have contributed specific content. All material is for your personal use only. No content
or plans may be republished or sold, nor may any plans be used to make products to sell without prior written
permission from Paul D. Race and the individual who contributed the content or plan in question.
For permissions or questions about this policy, please contact us using our Contact page.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:10 am 
Site Admin

A while back I invested in some model Hogwarts Express trains. The O gauge Lionel trains are Lionel's first foray into any Euro locomotive, and they're actually very nice if you don't let the kids handle the locomotive - the stanchions holding the handrails on are ridiculously fragile. The "G Gauge" ones are battery-powered toys, but fun to run. I haven't bought the "Ready to Play" version because it only runs on the chintzy 2" track that nobody makes but Lionel. Yes, they did that on purpose to keep people from mixing their battery-powered trains with EZ-Tek or New Bright or whatever. (Actually that's the same reason Lionel invented "O gauge" in the first place - to keep people who invested in Lionel trains from buying trains from anyone else. Gotta love 'em.)

At any rate, I always liked the Great Western Railways Hall class locomotives that were adapted for the Harry Potter movies. So when we went to Universal Studios parks in Orlando, I took copious notes and lots of photos. Then I published an article about the real Hall class locomotives that were being used in the movies and the parks.

Here's the link to that article:
https://halloweentrains.com/primer/hogw ... xpress.htm

I also experimented with running the battery-powered toy version on my outdoor railroad. It looked surprisingly nice, especially with the extra cars I picked up for it.

Attachment:
lionel_hogwarts_express_on_nb _n_dc3_600.jpg
lionel_hogwarts_express_on_nb _n_dc3_600.jpg [ 89.03 KiB | Viewed 22502 times ]

I'm now planning to run it on my railroad when we have our Christmas-themed open railroad Nov. 16, 2019.

To help it look "at home" I'm trashbashing three old plastic Fisher Price Castles.
Here's what they look like primed.

Attachment:
primered_castles_600.jpg
primered_castles_600.jpg [ 78.29 KiB | Viewed 22502 times ]

More as progress happens.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:14 am 
Site Admin

Also, I dummied up a Platform 9 3/4 sign. Turns out the typeface they used "Modern No. 20) is included with several Microsoft products so I had it on my system without realizing it.

Here's my take on it:

Attachment:
platform_9_3_4_round_sign_720.jpg
platform_9_3_4_round_sign_720.jpg [ 57.74 KiB | Viewed 22501 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:20 am 
Site Admin

For a free PDF of the sign above, right-click on the following link and tell it to download to your computer. "Save link as" or whatever language your browser uses.

Attachment:
platform_9_3_4_round_sign.pdf [382.61 KiB]
Downloaded 922 times

The mattress police will probably be after me to take this link down eventually, so download it while you can.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:22 pm 

I just found this post. I really want to see the finished set-up. And I am curious as to who the mattress police are?

Lucy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:34 am 
Site Admin

Lucy,

The "mattress police" refer specifically to the (fictional) enforcers who show up after you rip the tags off your mattresses. It was a "gag" in a WKRP show and the movie Fletch. To me and a few others of a "certain age," it refers to people who enforce stupid laws in general, like Warner Brothers suing restaurants where their people sang "Happy Birthday" to customers (which was actually fraud on Warner Brother's part, since they didn't really own the copyright). In this case, printing the number 9 3/4 in a big circle shouldn't hurt any body, but Warner Brothers has filed "cease and desist" orders for far less.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:34 am 
Site Admin

Here's an article about the process and outcome of this trashbashing effort:

https://halloweentrains.com/primer/hogw ... astles.htm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:38 am 

I was told that Hagrid approves of your project as well as Snape...i have just one question...

WHERE IS THE FIRE BREATHING DRAGON?...

Howard...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:23 pm 

So excited to see this completed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:42 pm 
Site Admin

Howard, I did get around to adding the dragon in 2020.

I thought about putting them on a mobile next year, so it looks like the dragon's chasing them around the castle. . . .

Attachment:
harry_potter_flying_800.jpg
harry_potter_flying_800.jpg [ 104.59 KiB | Viewed 17404 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:00 pm 

Paul...
Dragon: APPROVED! Mobile idea: YES!...
Howard...Snape...Hagrid...