Let's talk about cardboard Christmas houses and accessories

Visit our Contributors' Pages:
Visit Family Christmas Online Visit Howard Lamey's own web page, LittleGlitterHouses.com Click to Sign Up for Maria Cudequest's Collectibles Blog
Visit Family Christmas Online Click to visit Papa Ted's Place - the ultimate cardboard Christmas house resource. Click to return to the Old Christmas Tree Lights Table of Contents Page

Note: To ask a question, sign up for our "Christmas Times" newsletter, or learn how
to apply for membership to this forum, please visit our Contact page.

Note: All content on this forum is Copyright (c) 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 by Paul D. Race
and by the posters who have contributed specific content. All material is for your personal use only. No content
or plans may be republished or sold, nor may any plans be used to make products to sell without prior written
permission from Paul D. Race and the individual who contributed the content or plan in question.
For permissions or questions about this policy, please contact us using our Contact page.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:53 am 

Greetings to all…

I know some of you have made many or all of the houses that were in the original “pack-o-fun” patterns…here’s a link to that topic…

http://www.cardboardchristmas.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=723

Now…here are a few new ones…some will be my interpretations of vintage houses…others will be my freelance designs…the main thing will be their compatibility with the originals…and a uniform base size of 3 1/2” x 4” x 5/8” thick…

I won’t be going into any details regarding building them…the steps and methods have already been outlined many times on this forum…I will just be posting the patterns and a few pictures of each new house…

Here’s the first one…a multi window house inspired by a vintage original…see the pictures below…

Have fun…

My very best regards…

Howard…

Attachments:
multi window  house.jpg
multi window house.jpg [ 111.63 KiB | Viewed 37319 times ]
new multi window and original putz in insert picture.JPG
new multi window and original putz in insert picture.JPG [ 144.69 KiB | Viewed 37319 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:38 pm 
Site Admin

Great start, Howard. Thanks.

I think you should have named this topic "Sun of a Fun (Project)"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:38 pm 

Good afternoon to all...

Here is the finished "multi-window" house...the colors I painted the house really did get muted by the mica flakes...much more than i expected...so i'm going to try the same colors again on another house...but over a light sand textured finish with just a blush of mica flakes in selected areas...

My very best regards...Howard...

Attachments:
POF 2 Multi 001-001.JPG
POF 2 Multi 001-001.JPG [ 283.69 KiB | Viewed 37270 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:48 pm 

Greetings to all...

Here's the next house in Chapter 2...a "Brick Printie"...

Does the vintage house in the insert on the photo below look familiar?...it's from the group of three Paul recently posted...and was the inspiration for my version…here’s the link…
http://www.cardboardchristmas.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=791

I’ll probably make all three of them eventually…but may use different printed brick and stone graphics…take a look at this link…scroll down to "Building Textures"...
http://www.bigindoortrains.com/indoor_resources/resources.htm

If you’ve never applied printed graphics on a cardboard house…go here…
http://www.littleglitterhouses.com/paul/lewis_park_station/hl_lewis_park_station.htm

This “Brick Printie” will also be my first "Cotton Topper" with mica flakes on the roofs...I’ll be following the technique Lynn outlined in her candy box house project...here’s the link…
http://www.cardboardchristmas.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=724

Note that I’ll be changing the cardboard fence shown in the photo to a green “pot scrubber” hedge…more about that later…

My very best regards…Howard…

Attachments:
printed brick house.jpeg
printed brick house.jpeg [ 104.1 KiB | Viewed 37267 times ]
Brick Printie.JPG
Brick Printie.JPG [ 153.69 KiB | Viewed 37267 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:26 pm 
Site Admin

Looks like a great little project. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:22 am 

Good morning…

here is the completed "brick printie"...and a couple of notes...

the hedge is made from strips of “green pot scrubber pads" from the dollar store...pinking shears were used to cut the top edge…the tops were then roughed up with coarse sandpaper…a couple of coats of kelley green spray paint darkened the color...snow highlights, a little graft glue and mica flakes complete the hedge...

on my next "cotton topper" i won't trim the batting flush with the edges of the roofs...i'll glue them around the edge and under the overhang like Lynn did on her candy box house...

there are still a few houses left to do in chapter 2... :D

my very best regards...Howard...

Attachments:
POF 2 Brick Printie 004-001.JPG
POF 2 Brick Printie 004-001.JPG [ 229 KiB | Viewed 37250 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:47 pm 

Nicely done Howard!!! After seeing yours I think I am going to add one or two of these houses to my “bucket list”.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:48 pm 
Site Admin

Pine Mountain Valley is going to need to annex half the neighboring county to handle all this new construction. :-)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:29 pm 

Looks better than the original.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:50 pm 

greetings to all...

here is the third project in chapter 2...the "flat top twin peak" house...see the pattern and photos are below...pretty straight forward construction...just note that one score (the center fold) is on the back side of the roof panel...i was also fortunate to get a few gold paper window mullions samples to test on this house...

a few more houses are in the works...but it may be a while before they are posted...

my very best regards...howard...

Attachments:
twin flat top peak house.jpg
twin flat top peak house.jpg [ 125.51 KiB | Viewed 37178 times ]
photo.JPG
photo.JPG [ 220.52 KiB | Viewed 37178 times ]
twin flat top finished setting 007-001.JPG
twin flat top finished setting 007-001.JPG [ 200.83 KiB | Viewed 37178 times ]