Let's talk about cardboard Christmas houses and accessories

Visit our Contributors' Pages:
Visit Family Christmas Online Visit Howard Lamey's own web page, LittleGlitterHouses.com Click to Sign Up for Maria Cudequest's Collectibles Blog
Visit Family Christmas Online Click to visit Papa Ted's Place - the ultimate cardboard Christmas house resource. Click to return to the Old Christmas Tree Lights Table of Contents Page

Note: To ask a question, sign up for our "Christmas Times" newsletter, or learn how
to apply for membership to this forum, please visit our Contact page.

Note: All content on this forum is Copyright (c) 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 by Paul D. Race
and by the posters who have contributed specific content. All material is for your personal use only. No content
or plans may be republished or sold, nor may any plans be used to make products to sell without prior written
permission from Paul D. Race and the individual who contributed the content or plan in question.
For permissions or questions about this policy, please contact us using our Contact page.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:26 pm 

good evening...

one of our fellow putz craftsman has encouraged me to make some "lackies"...

both ted and paul have covered the subject of the style...but here's a quick overview...

"lackies" are a putz that was finished with clear shellack after it was painted...this gave it the look of bright, shinny tin...they were often used as scenery with tinplate toy trains...and were priced much, much lower than the tin houses made by Lionel...

this little fellow is on a 4" x 5" base and stands a little less than 5" tall...i still have to drill the fence posts for the rails, make windows, etc...after all the painting i will probably use high gloss clear acrylic spray for the final finish...

my very best regards...

howard...

Attachments:
lackie 001 (640x480).jpg
lackie 001 (640x480).jpg [ 185.35 KiB | Viewed 14755 times ]
lackie 003 (640x475).jpg
lackie 003 (640x475).jpg [ 178.16 KiB | Viewed 14755 times ]
lackie 002 (640x480).jpg
lackie 002 (640x480).jpg [ 188.58 KiB | Viewed 14755 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:25 am 
Site Admin

Great as always, Howard. :-)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:51 am 

Looking good, Howard!!! Glad to see you're back in the workshop!!! Hot and very dry here in WI. Nice to spend time in my basement workshop. It's 72 degrees down there!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:08 pm 

good evening...

worked on windows today...made white poster board mounting frames...made window glazing from yellow acetate presentation folder cover...cut out mullions from green file folder...they will have to be cut down when i glue them on the inside wall centered over the window openings...

the door is one offered by ted...the yellow in the windows is the reason i went with yellow glazing in the windows...

have a good evening...my very best regards...

howard...

Attachments:
lackie windows and door 001 (640x509).jpg
lackie windows and door 001 (640x509).jpg [ 243.54 KiB | Viewed 14730 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:32 am 

good morning...

house has been painted and is ready for high gloss clear spray...yellow acetate window glazing and door will be added when clear spray is dry...the unpainted area over the door is where the dormer will be glued...

base has been painted a foliage green...no pix yet...still working on fence which will be brown...

the house colors are inspired by the original tin pieces...i really like the "toy look"...

please don't judge the colors in the pix...i'm shooting on the kitchen table with less than ideal lighting...the actual colors are much brighter...

my very best regards...

howard

Attachments:
lackie windows installed 002 (640x630).jpg
lackie windows installed 002 (640x630).jpg [ 223.48 KiB | Viewed 14718 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:12 pm 

good afternoon...fence progress...shown on painted base while the rail assembly glue dries...fence will be removed from the base and painted dark brown...then glued into the 5 holes in the base...

post...5/16" diameter dowels...1" long...

rails...bamboo skewers glued into holes drilled into the post...

here's a link to ted's site which shows several pictures of early "lackies" with this type fence...you'll have to scroll way down the page to the "super lackies" heading to find the pictures...

http://www.papatedsplace.com/earlyperiod.html

my very best regards...

howard

Attachments:
lackie base unfinished fence 001.JPG
lackie base unfinished fence 001.JPG [ 150.3 KiB | Viewed 14708 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:41 am 

good morning...

house is ready for the final high-gloss clear spray finish...i'll post a final picture later...

the 1 1/2-inch tall figure of the lady and the little boy are marx train type that were produced up into about the 1970's...

my very best regards...

howard...

Attachments:
lackie finished no gloss spray 009 (640x637).jpg
lackie finished no gloss spray 009 (640x637).jpg [ 251.33 KiB | Viewed 14698 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:56 am 

This is great, Howard. Isn't it fun to try new techniques? I'm also very impressed with the systematic way you go about it and present it. Makes it easier for me to understand and appreciate. Will study your drawings and probably ask some questions.