Let's talk about cardboard Christmas houses and accessories

Visit our Contributors' Pages:
Visit Family Christmas Online Visit Howard Lamey's own web page, LittleGlitterHouses.com Click to Sign Up for Maria Cudequest's Collectibles Blog
Visit Family Christmas Online Click to visit Papa Ted's Place - the ultimate cardboard Christmas house resource. Click to return to the Old Christmas Tree Lights Table of Contents Page

Note: To ask a question, sign up for our "Christmas Times" newsletter, or learn how
to apply for membership to this forum, please visit our Contact page.

Note: All content on this forum is Copyright (c) 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 by Paul D. Race
and by the posters who have contributed specific content. All material is for your personal use only. No content
or plans may be republished or sold, nor may any plans be used to make products to sell without prior written
permission from Paul D. Race and the individual who contributed the content or plan in question.
For permissions or questions about this policy, please contact us using our Contact page.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Log Cabin from Nan
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:19 pm 

Attachment:
nans_log_cabin1.jpg
nans_log_cabin1.jpg [ 113.16 KiB | Viewed 17651 times ]
I don't know if this is the right place to post this--perhaps we need some place for people like me to show off our latest creations!
Anyway, here it is. My first in what I hope will be a series of putzes drawn from the Little House series of children's books by Laura Ingalls Wilder. This is my version of the Little House in the Big Woods, and was based on a drawing in that book. The base measures 5X7.5 inches; it is 4.5 inches tall (from bottom of base to top of chimney). The shrub in front is a scrap from my newly developed lufa efforts. The roof is made from small corrugated material and is meant to look like a tin roof with boards to keep it anchored. There are two views.
Attachment:
nans_log_cabin2.jpg
nans_log_cabin2.jpg [ 118.45 KiB | Viewed 17651 times ]

Post subject: Re: Log Cabin from Nan
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:08 pm 

Nan this is wonderful. Can't wait to let my list know!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:00 pm 

And now the world knows! :)
http://everythingcroton.blogspot.com/20 ... us_20.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:40 pm 
Excellent!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:44 pm 
Site Admin

You artists keep surprising me. Spectacular. :-)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:43 am 

good morning...

i REALLY like this loggie!...can't wait to send this page link to one of my grand children...she is a huge fan of little house...she's read all the books...

nan...please share wtih us the technique you used on the logs...i'd like to see some pictures of the material and the construction steps...seeing the ends of the individual logs is different than most loggies i've seen and made...it looks like you cut and glued rolled paper to make the logs...and cut notches just like the real thing...

keep in touch...my very best regards...

howard

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:17 pm 

Thank you all for your kind words. To answer your question, Howard, the sides of the house are cut from ordinary corrugated cardboard and the roof from very small-wale cardboard from a shoebox (Timberland). Of course, one side of the cardboard had to be gently removed to reveal the wales (those are the ridges on corduroy--I don't know what they're called on cardboard). That was time-consuming. I made the front and back walls of the house (and lean-to) the full length I wanted them, and notched the side walls so they would fit the right depth inside the long walls. I then cut lengths the correct width and notched them and then glued them to all the (many) upright places that needed them. The notching as in real log cabins is an illusion--it's really just corrugated cardboard glued back-to-back on the outside protruding "logs." It was quite a challenge, and there was a lot of trial-and-error, but once I came upon the technique, it went a lot faster. It was a satisfying project.
The hatchet and animal hide tacked to the lean-to are just pieces of plain cardboard cut out and painted.
The shutters, by the way, are the same corrugated cardboard as the walls, painted on the back then glued on backwards so the corrugations fit into those on the house walls; it helps keep them close and in place but requires trimming after you line them up (but before you glue them).
I'm happy to answer any questions, and if I made drawings I would share them, but I make an awful sketch and figure out sizes based on the doors and windows I intend to use, and go from there, measuring and cutting but without anything in the way of plans on the tricky ones. The next one I make I'll make photos along the way.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:04 pm 

nan...

thanks for the prompt reply...and the details on making the logs...your technique does fool the eye...

cardboard that shows ridges on one side is knows as "single face"...it was a big part of the packing and shipping business before bubble wrap and foam peanuts...

it is still available...there are on-line sources...try the company known as "U-Line"...google them...but...look around at store displays like i did...you may find some that is being discarded...i got several pieces from a beer display and a soda display for free...

hope you won't mind if i try your technique and make a small loggie...i need a new project...

my very best regards...

howard

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:21 pm 

Nan, what a wonderful job you did!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:04 pm 

I'm very flattered that you want to try my technique, Howard. That's why I joined this forum--to learn and share and learn some more. I'm poor at drawing things, but will try to write up my technique and will share it as soon as I can.
Thank you everyone for your kind words.